- We follow the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) and the Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method (BREEAM)® standards.
Support environmental sustainability by reducing our emissions and resource consumption throughout our facilities and operations.
Here at BBH our offices are an extension of our culture. The guest, client, and employee office experience should be reflective of the thoughtful and responsible way we service and deliver our products. As a financial services company, our greatest impact on the environment is the operation of our 1.4 million square feet of office space in our 17 global locations. How we build and outfit the offices, how those offices collectively consume resources, particularly electricity, and how our employees behave day-to-day add up to significant change.
BBH looks at the sustainability of our facilities from many different angles, from top-down decisions on office location and design, to resource use and programs focused on individual behaviors such as educating our employees on good practices and habits that will have a lasting effect on the planet.
Operating our facilities efficiently is more than just shutting off lights when not in use. We spend a tremendous amount of time planning and working on infrastructure upgrades that have sustained reductions of greenhouse gas emissions. We continuously look for ways to reuse materials, reduce our consumption of items that end up in landfills, and ask our employees to be part of the process through their own use and interaction with our office spaces. We want them to be fully invested in this journey to lessen our impact on the planet.
Core Program Components
- One global department allows us to maintain a clear line of sight to—and ability to optimize–our operation’s collective impact.
- We build our offices for long term tenancy, using practical architectural standards that can flex to ever-changing business needs.
- We track and set reduction goals centrally for energy, waste, paper, water, and carbon emissions, hitting those marks by continually upgrading equipment and engaging employees to support the effort.
- Working with our landlords and local communities, we maintain guidelines for our business units and employees to follow.
- We have guidelines that help BBHers choose eco-friendly corporate gifts and giveaway, promoting experiences or charitable donations in lieu of physical gifts.
- We keep unnecessary travel to a minimum through routine budget scrutiny and key investments in meeting technology, including video conferencing.
Based on 2022 data
Brown Brothers Harriman & Co. (“BBH”) may be used to reference the company as a whole and/or its various subsidiaries generally. This material and anyproducts or services may be issued or provided in multiple jurisdictions by duly authorized and regulated subsidiaries. This material is for general information and referencepurposes only and does not constitute legal, tax or investment advice and is not intended as an offer to sell, or a solicitation to buy securities, services or investment products.Any reference to tax matters is not intended to be used, and may not be used, for purposes of avoiding penalties under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, or other applicable taxregimes, or for promotion, marketing or recommendation to third parties. All information has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but accuracy is not guaranteed,and reliance should not be placed on the information presented. This material may not be reproduced, copied or transmitted, or any of the content disclosed to third parties,without the permission of BBH. Pursuant to information regarding the provision of applicable services or products by BBH, please note the following: Brown Brothers HarrimanFund Administration Services (Ireland) Limited and Brown Brothers Harriman Trustee Services (Ireland) Limited are regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland, Brown BrothersHarriman Investor Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Brown Brothers Harriman (Luxembourg) S.C.A is regulated by the Commissionde Surveillance du Secteur Financier. All trademarks and service marks included are the property of BBH or their respective owners. © Brown Brothers Harriman & Co. 2021. All rights reserved. FIRM-00486-2024-01-10