- We follow the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) and the Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method (BREEAM)® standards.
Support environmental sustainability by reducing the carbon impact of our facilities and operations.
Our greatest direct impact on the environment comes from the way we operate our 1.4 million square feet of office space: How we build and outfit the offices, how those offices collectively consume resources—particularly electricity—and how our employees’ day-to-day behaviors add up to significant change.
BBH looks at the sustainability of our facilities from many different angles, from top-down decisions on office location and design, to resource use and reductions to programs focused on individual behaviors—educating our employees on the good practices and habits, small and large, that will have a lasting effect on the planet.
Giving Trash Cans a Second (Greener) Life
Simple changes to our daily routine can make an impact toward our sustainability goals. Our Boston Environmental Champions group had this in mind when it launched an initiative to remove all personal trash and recycling bins from each desk, diverting approximately 500,000 plastic trash can liners from landfills. In their place, central waste stations were created on each floor for trash, recycling, and in some locations, compost.
With more than 1,500 people in the Boston office, we were left with the question of what to do with the 3,000 plastic waste bins. We looked for opportunities to reuse them, and through online marketplaces, we were able to find them new homes, donating them to individuals, organizations, and schools across Massachusetts. Some continued to be used as trash cans, but others were used to create urban gardens.
Environmental Champions hand-delivered the bins and saw the recipients’ appreciation for such a simple item, this made the process even more rewarding. “I never thought trash could bring people together,” remarked BBH Sustinability co-op, Bri Douglas. By donating the trash cans, we diverted 3,000 pounds of waste from landfills and gave the bins a second (greener) life.
Core Program Components
- One global department allows us to maintain a clear line of sight to—and ability to optimize–our operation’s collective impact.
- We build our offices for long term tenancy, using practical architectural standards that can flex to ever-changing business needs.
- We track and set reduction goals centrally for energy, waste, paper, water, and carbon emissions, hitting those marks by continually upgrading equipment and engaging employees to support the effort.
- Working with our landlords and local communities, we maintain guidelines for our business units and employees to follow.
- We have guidelines that help BBHers choose eco-friendly corporate gifts and giveaway, promoting experiences or charitable donations in lieu of physical gifts.
- We keep unnecessary travel to a minimum through routine budget scrutiny and key investments in meeting technology, including video conferencing.
Based on 2021 data
Brown Brothers Harriman & Co. (“BBH”) may be used as a generic term to reference the company as a whole and/or its various subsidiaries generally. This material and anyproducts or services may be issued or provided in multiple jurisdictions by duly authorized and regulated subsidiaries. This material is for general information and referencepurposes only and does not constitute legal, tax or investment advice and is not intended as an offer to sell, or a solicitation to buy securities, services or investment products.Any reference to tax matters is not intended to be used, and may not be used, for purposes of avoiding penalties under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, or other applicable taxregimes, or for promotion, marketing or recommendation to third parties. All information has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but accuracy is not guaranteed,and reliance should not be placed on the information presented. This material may not be reproduced, copied or transmitted, or any of the content disclosed to third parties,without the permission of BBH. Pursuant to information regarding the provision of applicable services or products by BBH, please note the following: Brown Brothers HarrimanFund Administration Services (Ireland) Limited and Brown Brothers Harriman Trustee Services (Ireland) Limited are regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland, Brown BrothersHarriman Investor Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Brown Brothers Harriman (Luxembourg) S.C.A is regulated by the Commissionde Surveillance du Secteur Financier. All trademarks and service marks included are the property of BBH or their respective owners. © Brown Brothers Harriman & Co. 2021.All rights reserved. FIRM-00412-2022-09-14