- We strive to help clients become strategic philanthropists by defining the role of philanthropy in the client’s life and the estate plan, setting structure to maximize impacts, creating a framework for governance/administration, and crafting a strategic plan to design grants and measure impact.
- We support the process by helping donors investigate innovative ways of structuring charitable activities, including hybrid vehicles.
- Learn more about Philanthropic Advisory.
Help our Private Banking clients articulate and realize their vision for philanthropy, sustainable investing, and values-based planning, while leveraging BBH resources to support broader education and awareness around sustainable investing.
As an advisor to private business owners, individual families, and endowments and foundations, BBH focuses on helping clients achieve sustainable outcomes as they deploy their resources to influence the issues important to them. We believe that ESG investing does not mean investors sacrifice returns, and values must drive a client’s socially responsible investment plan. Now, more than ever, values, definitions, and goals related to sustainable investing are a focus for many clients, but also highly personal. Since there’s no one-size-fits-all solution, we view sustainable investing not as a product, but as an approach.
To help clients navigate these complex decisions, BBH starts each relationship with a robust conversation about each client’s values and objectives. We then use those values as our guiding principles, advising our clients in their pursuit of thriving families, sustainable portfolios, and impactful philanthropy – according to their definition of success. We are committed to the evaluation of ESG factors as part of our investment research process in order to help us effectively assess the long-term sustainability and durability of our companies.
We seek to be owners of high-quality sustainable companies that can generate superior long-term returns. Our managers look for businesses that can ‘do well’ by focusing on robust ESG practices that allow them to ‘do good’ for all stakeholders.
Core Program Components
- We are committed to the evaluation of ESG factors as part of our investment research process because it helps us effectively assess the long-term sustainability and durability of the companies we invest in.
- We take a bottom-up fundamental approach to investing, identifying businesses that have the potential to compound capital through market cycles and make effective management decisions that lead to strong governance, key stakeholder relationships, and excellent social practices.
- We help clients realize socially responsible investment (SRI) mandates through portfolio customization, ongoing analysis, shareholder engagement, and integration of MSCI ESG Research data points through a sustainable portfolio optimization process.
- Learn more about our approach to sustainable investing.
- Our proprietary values-based planning framework helps clients uncover their values and use them to make decisions about how wealth is invested, saved, spent, and given away.
- We work with families to create customized programs that demonstrate how how their values can drive decision-making in regards to investing, planning, and charitable giving.
- BBH’s Center for Women & Wealth engages and supports women in the creation and management of wealth to create a dynamic and inclusive environment for conversations about family, wealth, and values.
- Learn more about Values-Based Planning.
Based on 2021 data
Investing in securities that meet ESG criteria may result in the fund forgoing otherwise attractive opportunities, which may result in underperformance when compared to funds that do not consider ESG factors. A less favorable ESG profile may not preclude the Adviser from investing in a company, as the consideration of ESG factors is not more influential than the consideration of other investment criteria.
Brown Brothers Harriman & Co. (“BBH”) may be used to reference the company as a whole and/or its various subsidiaries generally. This material and anyproducts or services may be issued or provided in multiple jurisdictions by duly authorized and regulated subsidiaries. This material is for general information and referencepurposes only and does not constitute legal, tax or investment advice and is not intended as an offer to sell, or a solicitation to buy securities, services or investment products.Any reference to tax matters is not intended to be used, and may not be used, for purposes of avoiding penalties under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, or other applicable taxregimes, or for promotion, marketing or recommendation to third parties. All information has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but accuracy is not guaranteed,and reliance should not be placed on the information presented. This material may not be reproduced, copied or transmitted, or any of the content disclosed to third parties,without the permission of BBH. Pursuant to information regarding the provision of applicable services or products by BBH, please note the following: Brown Brothers HarrimanFund Administration Services (Ireland) Limited and Brown Brothers Harriman Trustee Services (Ireland) Limited are regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland, Brown BrothersHarriman Investor Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Brown Brothers Harriman (Luxembourg) S.C.A is regulated by the Commissionde Surveillance du Secteur Financier. All trademarks and service marks included are the property of BBH or their respective owners. © Brown Brothers Harriman & Co. 2021.All rights reserved. FIRM-00412-2022-09-14